Litigation is the process of dealing with your matters in court and following the court rules and processes. At Wells Family Law we treat court as a last resort for a number of reasons, including but not limited to:
- It is based on an adversarial model which can do long term damage to families, especially where children are involved;
- It can be the most expensive form of dispute resolution;
- All documents filed in Court (Affidavits, Applications, Orders, etc.) are public documents and are available to anyone upon request;
- When your case is being heard in court the members of the public have the right to attend in the gallery;
- Hearings can take up to a year or more to schedule;
- You will likely not have a judge assigned who has significant experience in family law matters.
There are circumstances in which litigation in the only or the best available option. In these cases we will usually assign or bring in one of our several lawyers with significant litigation experience to advocate for our clients’ interests and needs, taking cost into consideration.